Thursday, December 29, 2016

Favorite Reads of 2016

I don’t know about you, but I’ve read so many books this year I can’t remember all of them. I admit I had to check my Goodreads and Amazon lists to jog my memory. Even still, there were just a few books that really stood out to me that I read in 2016 - books that I’ve not been able to stop thinking about since I read them. And so, I’m closing out the year by celebrating these fantastic stories:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765376466/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=goldencricket-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=0765376466&linkId=57c86607eafe0d26e8541170853249f0

A Darker Shade of Magic – V.E. Schwab: This book came to my attention when I was shopping on Amazon. It was in one of those “if you liked xyz, then you’ll like xyz” lists. Although I don’t recall the initial book that led me to A Darker Shade of Magic, I’m certainly glad it did.

It was a little slow at first, but once I got a few pages in, the story exploded into a fantastic and whimsical tale - a story that I can honestly say is one of the most original and imaginative stories I’ve ever read. A chameleon coat, magical war, and four dazzling Londons—it’s all completely and utterly delightful and immersive.

I just added Schwab's other books in the series to my reading list and can't wait to dive into them!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015KYJXZ8/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=goldencricket-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B015KYJXZ8&linkId=9e4652a03f4270509301d2c8131ab949

Anatomy of a Darkened Heart – Christie Stratos: This book made me fall in love with historical fiction. I was totally addicted to this book from the very first sentence, and when I wasn’t reading it, I was thinking about it and hurrying up whatever I was doing to get back to reading it. In fact, months and months later, I’m still thinking about it.

The descriptions of costumes, physical attributes and expressions, even the wallpaper, are all vivid and compelling, adding to the haunting ambiance of this Victorian masterpiece. This is the perfect book to curl up by the fire with. My only qualm is that the next book in the series isn’t out yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345384210/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=goldencricket-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=0345384210&linkId=8ae7801a877f784cec6a719ab9901007

Dreams of Terror and Death – H.P. Lovecraft: Comprised of twenty-one surreal short stories, this book is delightfully spooky, masterfully written, and is a perfect read for those who’ve never read Lovecraft, or are die-hard fans (like me). Most of the stories are short enough to read if you want a quick story before bed, and others are long enough to hold your attention for quite some time.

My absolute favorite stories in this book are: The Strange High House in the Mist, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, and Through the Gates of the Silver Key. Lovecraft's way of storytelling will completely infuse you.

What are some of your favorite books of 2016?

~~~

Happy Holidays! May you find plenty of awesome new books to read in the New Year :)


No comments:

Post a Comment